KTC Message Board

This Message Board is provided by the Knoxville Track Club (KTC) as a service to the local running community. Its purpose is to provide a forum for the discussion of ideas pertaining to running and related fitness activities. Ideas expressed here are those of the individual posters and do not reflect policies or opinions of the KTC. Readers of this forum should use their own judgment in determining the appropriateness/accuracy of any posting. The KTC reserves the right to delete any message that strays too far from the intended purpose of the Message Board or is deemed inappropriate by the moderators.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Middle school XC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:22 pm 
Quote:
Campbell, Kevin Memphis Milers 12:29.84
this 11-yr-old (looks 8 ) is a baaaad little dude on the track and the #2 out of West Tn.

He's small in stature but mentally tough as nails. Probably not his time yet for middle school CC, racing against 13 & 14 yr.-olds. He won 800M & 1500M National Championships - - a few times! If he can get near the front early, run the VAP hills and not get trampled - - he'll surprize some.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 am 
The Memphis 11 yr. old, Kevin Campbell, is listed as the #2 "individual" from west Tn., tnrunner had him at #6 overall. Is Wesley Robinson 11 or 12? He would do well in AAU which is based on age through Dec. or birthyear. ie. born in 1996/midget, 1997/sub midget, 1996/bantam etc. A nice addition for KTC YAP AAU teams team at either age.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:41 pm 
Wes Robinson is a 6th grader.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:54 pm 
Midget, sub midget or bantam?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:32 am 

Great to see the interest and activity on this thread. I would like to thank all of the regional coordinators for doing an outstanding job with thier meets. Memphis especially -- having a meet put in thier hands (after moving it from Jackson, TN) with two weeks notice -- and pulling off a great meet.

What was just an idea on a napkin over three years ago has grown into a true statewide test for Middle School Cross Country runners. I am grateful to all those that have made this possible. For those that are interested Steve Willis has written a great meet preview which has been posted on TennesseeRunner.com - http://tn.milesplit.us/articles/20210

I hope you have the time to come out and watch some of Tennessee's up and coming running talent this weekend. For meet schedule and information: http://www.ktcyouthathletics.org/tnstat ... nship.html

For a list of team and individual qualifiers please visit: http://www.ktcyouthathletics.org/StateQualifiers.html

If you are a KTC member or supporter and would like to volunteer to help with the meet please contact me at the number below. Best wishes to all participants this weekend at Victor Ashe Park.

tennrunner@aol.com
865-406-4128

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 pm 
Top Ten Predicitions:

1. Competetiors who race as their coache's have instructed them will do well.
2. Runners who are oldest and have been in "big" races will have an edge physically and mentally.
3. No youngsters in top 5, top ten would be huge.
4. Runners who ran sub par in qualifiers will have a chip on their shoulder and be focused at state.
5. Most of the top qualifiers will be up front early and some will get legs ran out in 1st mile.
6. Race will be decided in 1st mile.
7. Leader will run sub 5:30 1st mile if course is dry, 5:35-5:40 if sloppy wet.
8. Course record will get smashed if dry (11:30-11:45).
9. Course record is in jeapordy if wet and a little sloppy (11:50-12:10) if same layout as last year.
10. This will undoubtedly be the best TN middle school race ever!

Has anyone contacted the local media TV Stations for coverage?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:41 pm 
Good predictions in previous post. Just a couple of quick comments.

"1. Competitors who race as their coaches have instructed them will do well.
2. Runners who are oldest and have been in "big" races will have an edge physically and mentally. "

Agree completely. The soft, long course provides an advantage to the more mature runners.

I'd have to disagree with this point, if youngsters means 6th or 7th grade. Quintin McKinnish and Wesley Robinson are two "youngsters" that will likely end up in the top 5-10. These 2 are real talents.

4. Runners who ran sub par in qualifiers will have a chip on their shoulder and be focused at state.

Again, I agree with this point. The best examples are Daniel Sonnenfeldt and Wesley Robinson, both of whom had sub-par races in the qualifiers. I expect both to rebound tomorrow.

5. Most of the top qualifiers will be up front early and some will get legs ran out in 1st mile.
9. Course record is in jeapordy if wet and a little sloppy (11:50-12:10) if same layout as last year.

Agree with all these points. I think the top 3 will go sub 12 this year.

Boy's team competition will be a tough matchup between University School, West Valley and West View. I think University School has the best chance, but West Valley knows the course.

Looking forward to tomorrow! Thanks again to KTC!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:02 pm 
Quote:
Top Ten Predicitions:

1. Competetiors who race as their coache's have instructed them will do well.
2. Runners who are oldest and have been in "big" races will have an edge physically and mentally.

Swami Nailed It
1.Yes
2.Yes, it showed.
3.Yes. Youngsters/6th graders = 15th & 20th. Very legit, but not contenders. 2-3 years behind just too much to make up
4.May have missed this one.
5.Yes. Like following a script...
6.Certainly was.
7.Yes. 5:20 and change. FYI: The girls leader was 5:51... Wow on both accounts.
8.Yes. 11:37
9.Was dry.
10. Yes. Incredible performances.

Nice touch with Kroeger and Sonnenfeldt at awards ceremony.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:03 am 

I wonder how many of these kids had to run a conference meet 2 days before the State meet? It makes Robbie Bloom's performance even more incredible as for any of the University School runners or any qualifiers that ran in the Watauga conference meet (NE Tennessee) on 10/16/08. I am extremely proud of the great job done by all the kids. What a 1st class operation by KTC!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 am 

Wow !! What a great day for cross country at Victor Ashe Park !!! Perfect weather - crowds that exceeded the parks parking capacity -- two new course records -- excited and energized participants = everthing you would want a State Championship to be. Congrats to particpants - State Individual Champions - State Team Champions - All-State (top 20) runners.

I would like to thank the following for making this a memorable event:

1. Regional coordinators - Jasen Parks / Steve Wills / Kevin Raney / Glenn Gattis / Brian Buckner for thier hard work in putting on quality regional meets Memphis / Macon County / Tri-Cities / Chattanooga / Knoxville.

2. Knoxville Fire Department - EMS

3. Tennessee Track and Field Officials Association

4. Brent Smith / Kayla Bryan / Richard French / Lindsay Selmer / Mike Wortley

5. East Tennessee Heart Consultants / TennesseeRunner.com / CoachO.com / Knoxville Track Club / Joe Shirt

6. Last but certainly not least -- the athletes, coaches and parents that supported yesterdays state meet.

For Meet Results / Photo Albums / Meet Video: http://tn.milesplit.us/meets/29524
For Picture of Girls All-State: http://tn.milesplit.us/photos/files/566942
For Picture of Boys All State: http://tn.milesplit.us/photos/files/566996

PS -- Having Kathy Kroeger and Matt Sonnenfeldt at the meet was pure luck -- who would have thought that younger sister and brother would be following in thier footsteps. See you in 09' Stay healthy and keep running.

tennrunner@aol.com
865-406-4128

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 am 
Im one of the runners. I ran lastyear too, and can say this was one of the funnest races last year. The competition was so much closer. There were some amazing finishes.