KTC Message Board

This Message Board is provided by the Knoxville Track Club (KTC) as a service to the local running community. Its purpose is to provide a forum for the discussion of ideas pertaining to running and related fitness activities. Ideas expressed here are those of the individual posters and do not reflect policies or opinions of the KTC. Readers of this forum should use their own judgment in determining the appropriateness/accuracy of any posting. The KTC reserves the right to delete any message that strays too far from the intended purpose of the Message Board or is deemed inappropriate by the moderators.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chip Times or Gun Times (New Years Day 5K)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:04 pm 
The times that are listed for the New Years Day 5K are, I'm about 99% certain, NOT chip times. I'm pretty certain these are times from the official "gun" start time. Will you check again and make sure? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Chip Times or Gun Times (New Years Day 5K)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:21 pm 

I am 100% that the time on the clock when I finished is the time listed on the results. So, I am sure that these times are gun times only. I started back pretty far in the pack and it looks like I lost about 20 seconds because of it. I am hoping that it will get corrected.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:59 pm 
I agree that these are clock times. I started my watch on the starting mat, and it was consistently 25 seconds off the times called out on the course, and 25 seconds faster than the posted time. At Thanksgiving, it took a day or two to get the chip times up.

I thought this year's T-shirts were the best ever. I love this race, especially when it's cold!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 pm 
i am close to a PR, slow though it was, if my chip time is posted. i know it's silly, just few seconds and all, but it means something to me. do the gun times posted stand or do they get corrected? i'm not critical of those involved with the posting...i appreciate all of michael's hard work trying to figure out the misplaced bracket in the code. just want my pr! :D

great shirts, by the way!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:54 pm 
Thank you DM,
Glad you enjoyed the race and the T-Shirt.

I am very sorry about the times. We had a software glitch that occured with the starting chip times.
The times you see are finishing chip times based on gun time. This issue will be resolved and we will be able to offer fast and accurate chip times in the future.

I thank you for running in our event. Eddie Reymond.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:28 am 
Eddie,

What in the heck is the difference between a "gun time" and a "chip time based on gun time"? My time was purely gun time and probably a minute and a half slower than chip time since I let most all cross the line and clear out so no traffic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:17 pm 
It means that the chip timing system malfunctioned at the start of the race, (and from what I gather, they got it to work while we were running and just entered the time of day the gun sounded into the system) and then used the chip timing system to clock each person as they crossed the finish line, hence they didn't tear bib numbers. Therefore, it technically was a "chip time using gun time."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:44 pm 
What I ment was that the chip picked up everyone's finish time and we did not have to use our manual back up but that our start did not pick up so we had to use the Gun time.
That basically means that we used Gun time for the race.
Again I do apologize, several people are spending many volunteer hours to make sure that this does not happen again.
Thanks for your understanding, Eddie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 pm 
Yes Bob, I had to write my post while waiting on customers so I did not see your response.
Eddie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:47 pm 
Chip times are available for about half of the New Years 5K finishers. Unfortunately, one of the two mats failed to "initialize" at the start, so runners who passed over that mat did not register a start time. This is a hardware issue that the manufacturer is supposedly working on. Meanwhile, we have been "working around" the issue, but not with complete success.

The wrong "all finishers" file was sent to Michael -- that's why no chip times are included. The correct one has now been sent to him and includes chip times for about half the finishers.

I sense some runners may be confused about "gun times" and "chip times." Gun time is your finishing time minus the time that the gun went off. This is your official time for determining order of finish and awards (you cannot beat someone who finishes ahead of you). Chip time is your finishing time minus the time at which you crossed the start line. This is for your information only (for personal records). It is not used to determine results.

This is the way all races are scored. Chip times are accepted as qualifying times for the Boston Marathon, however. This is one case where chip time is more than just information.

I hope this helps clear this up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:06 pm 

The revised file with chip times for some runners is now online.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm 

thanks ktc for all your hard work and explaining what happened. i didnt really care about my place.. just wanted to get an accurate PR to log down. :D

and i agree.. the T-Shirts for this race were really cool!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:08 pm 
so no one is confused by all the googly gob. If there is a malfunction in the chip start then all times are just the same as gun times. The distinction being that it is recorded by chip mat as opposed to taking up bibs. So if you started way back in th pack you are screwed. The starting time is the same for everybody, whether you sprinted off in front or waited for the traffic to clear. As opposed to the powers that be saying everything is in good order, just speak the facts. Your finishing time is the gun time minus however long it took you to cross the start line. If you ran a 20.00 and it took you 30 seconds to get to the start then you really ran 19:30 despite what the posted results say.

Just say timing was screwed up and don't try and justify by other figures. We all love the KTC!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:04 pm 
check finisher 296. how can gun time be 29:15 but chip time be 37 something?